Monday 18 November 2013

Mezzetta


Mezzetta 681 St Clair West

I met Darko through a mutual friend, the amazing Jazz drummer Dan Bodanis. Darko was kind enough to write about his impression of Mezzetta for The Jazz Brat Reviews. I live walking distance from the restaurant, and go frequently, so I can verify EVERYTHING Darko says! 


Flavour and Flute

I had planned my first visit to Mezzetta Restaurant on St. Clair on Wednesday October 23, 2013. Performing that evening was the duo of Bill McBirnie (flute) and Louis Simao (guitar and vocals).  But my plans had to be altered. Scene (of Scene points Cineplex) gave me a pair of tickets to see the preview of 'About Time'.  The start time was 7pm and the Queensway.  It's length was two hours and four minutes.  Good thing previews don't have trailers.  Still, Mezzetta performance start at 9pm.  That meant I was going to miss about half of the first set. But nevertheless, I made it!

Now where to start.  I suppose the venue.  The sound is terrific at Mezzetta. For the first set we sat near the entrance and ordered our meal items. Mezzetta is a bit different than almost all restaurants.  Its similar to a tapas restaurant. Mezze in Greek, Arabic, or Persian means "a small appetizer"

For two people they suggested ten plates.

Here's what we ordered:
Mediterranean Garden Salad, Mezzeki, Fried Yams, Roasted Peppers, Kebab Fingers, Cheese Boureka, Lamb Shish, Slow Shrimp, Chicken Shish and Veal Shish.  The meal was also accompanied by flat bread and a couple of dips.

The meal was fabulous except for Kebab Fingers.  To me the meat was ground far too fine for my liking.  But nine out of ten is really good in my books.  

Their desserts are a bit different.  I had the Apricots in Cream.  I have to  give a description. Turkish apricots, revived in Orange Blossom Water, topped with almonds and served in fresh whipped cream.  Not that complicated but the taste and texture was  amazing.  My girlfriend, Lily, had the Creme Bavaria: Vanilla Custard with Triple Sec, topped with almonds and streaked with chocolate syrup, Also very good.  I suppose I like how they incorporated nuts into their desserts. They worked really well.

Now onto the music.  
I've seen Bill McBirnie perform a number of times.  This was my fourth time this year. For those who have seen him, I'm sure you'll all agree that he is world class flute player.  I feel fortunate to be able to see him perform that many times. It was my first time at a performance with Louis Simao.  I've heard his name bandied about on many occasions.  That surprised Louis, when I told him.

I'm not sure when it happened, but I always liked Brazilian music since I could remember.  I know it was as far back as the first time I saw Disney's Three Caballeros or One Note Samba or The Girl From Ipanema.  I'm sure my parents had some of it playing in our home as well, although I'm neither Brazilian or Portuguese in heritage.  But, that's another topic for another day. I'd put Antonio Carlos Jobim right next to Pat Metheny and Paul McCartney/The Beatles as my biggest musical influences. Good thing that they played a lot of Jobim.  They even played a tune that he recorded but didn't compose called Carinhoso.

Louis Simao plays many instruments, but this evening it was voice and guitar. He's plays both very well.  He and Bill McBirnie blend very well together.

If you like your food with flavour, and music performed in a nice sounding intimate atmosphere, Mezzetta's the place for you and me.

Darko Babic
website: http://www.mezzettarestaurant.com
location: 681 Saint Clair Avenue West (south side of St Clair, steps east of Christie)  416 658 5687 (reservations recommended)
Limited street parking but easily accessible by ttc.
A few additions from Jazz Brat: I too love the food! The carrots, eggplant and kofta are faves. Mezzetta is very well known amongst musicians. Recordings are often made there and the owners are very good at reminding guests before each show to respect the musicians and their music. Mezzetta is also a popular venue during  the Toronto Jazz Fest

No comments:

Post a Comment